Monday, July 12, 2010

Affinity Point Premiere

Three weeks ago Affinity Point had it's 'premiere' (I'd rather call it 'the first public showing') at Montreal's famous Cinema Duparc.
During the night, I was very nervous- I hate watching myself on screen.
I tried to make a speech before the movie started, but I chickened out for a few reasons:
1- I didn't have a planned speech,
2- I didn't want to ruin the mood of the movie (getting everyone laughing and excited before a fairly serious movie isn't the most intelligent thing to do)
3- Mike, my partner in crime, wasn't there. (he showed up late)

So basically half of my speech was me jokingly playing with the microphone ("Is this thing on? Check! Check! CHECK!") and then saying something like:

"Thank you all for being here! The film cost 680$. Sometimes it shows, but that's what I like about it. Enjoy!"

The worst speech ever, I know. But I didn't know what to say! But I'll be ready next time, you'll see! hehe.

Sooooo how did the night go? Well, it went great! A lot of people showed up. Even most of the cast.
When the movie started, I sat down next to a friend in the last row in the back and tried to watch without getting too nervous. Three people in the row in front of me were obviously drunk, so they were very talkative and somewhat critical (positive and negative). This would of normally pissed me off, as I hate people who talk during movies, but I wanted to hear what these people had to say about my 'oeuvre'.
At first, I could tell that they were ready to dismiss the movie even before it started. But I soon noticed they started to get into it as the movie progressed and by the movie's 2/3 mark they were hooked- which led me to a fortunate conclusion when I observed the audience: Affinity Point plays the audience like a piano. And I mean that in a good way- the people laughed when they were supposed to, and they cried when they were suppose to. I'm so surprised that the film is as effective as it is. The audience reaction was perfect!
Of course, there could of been people in the audience who didn't like the movie, but I didn't sense that at all. Everyone seemed pleasantly surprised about how good the movie was. Even Roland, the manager of Duparc, complimented me on the beauty of the picture. (He was especially impressed with the cinematography and the music) He seemed sincerely impressed and excited, which is a great compliment considering he's been going to Cannes every year for the last 30 years.
It was a great night, and I hope more audiences will connect with it like that in the future!

Here's some interviews with the cast and crew at the premiere:

PART 1

PART 2


No comments: